Parliamo Italiano!

Parliamo Italiano!

Monday, July 13, 2015

The Teacher

The Teacher

Picture
I am an Italian mother tongue, experienced and qualified teacher. My name is Ermanno and I come from Genova, in Liguria. I have been living in United States for the last 25 years. I live in McAllen (Texas). I spend half of my time in McAllen, the other half in Monterrey and Merida.

Teaching is the career that gives me most enjoyment and reward, and the feedback I receive on a regular basis (from students and colleagues) tells me that my enthusiasm for teaching Italian is passed on to my students.

I enjoy teaching, maybe because it is one of those job...s that can be really rewarding. Teaching and learning are both a very intimate experience. As learners we expose to others our legitimate will to succeed, to grow, to live and our fear to fail; as teachers we need to put ourselves to test, to see if we are able to share our knowledge, if we are able to reach out people and we know that the learners are often able to assess our teaching skills, as much as we have a clear idea of their knowledge of the subject.

I think that once a good relationship between teacher and student has been established, one can achieve a lot. I believe in commitment, but even more in a true passion for the subject. I consider mistakes a blessing to better spot the learner's problem area and devise a teaching method that may suit the learner best. I use to prepare lessons in advance but I am flexible to switch to any issue the learner may come up with I aim at giving any student, at any level the chance of making the most of his vocabulary and grasp of the language, even beginners could benefit from a cycle of lessons just to travel to Italy, exchange pleasantries with the locals, be able to read signs in public places, order a meal in a restaurant (attended mainly by locals and therefore where it's more unlikely to find a menu in English as well) and so on. As to learners at intermediate or advanced level, I could help speed up your progress. Learners with a level of proficiency may enjoy conversation about a range of topics, such as current affairs, culture, history of art, politics.